United States Postal Service
External Publication for Job Posting 10386859
If this job requires qualification on an examination, the number of applicants who will be invited to take or retake the
examination may be limited.
Job Posting Period
01/14/2020 - 01/18/2020
SUPV CUSTOMER SERVICES
10221 RIVER RD
POTOMAC, MD 20854-9998
S/O: Gabe Hamilton
Contact Info: GABRIEL.HAMILTON@USPS.GOV
TITLE: SUPV CUSTOMER SERVICES
GRADE: EAS - 17
FLSA DESIGNATION: Special Exempt
OCCUPATION CODE: 2310-0022
NON-SCHEDULED DAYS: Wednesday/Saturday
HOURS: 09:00 A.M. to 06:00 P.M.
SALARY RANGE: 63,774.00 - 84,700.00 USD Annually
FINANCE NUMBER: 237887
BENEFIT INFORMATION: The salary will be based on previous experience, salary history, and current postal pay policies.
We offer excellent benefits including health and life insurance, retirement plan, savings/investment plan with employer
contribution, flexible spending, flextime scheduling of core work hours, annual and sick leave.
Persons Eligible to Apply
Eligibility is limited to current non-career Postal employees in the CAPITAL District and individuals entitled to Veterans'
Preference. Applicants must be available for screening activities, including an interview. Applicants entitled to veterans’
preference and/or covered by the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act may apply for any posted position.
Current career postal employees are not eligible to apply.
If you are a military veteran, you must attach a copy of your DD-214 (Member Copy #4) to your application under the
Veterans Preference tab.
Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered with the Selective Service System.
Applicants must be age 18 at the time of hire (or age 16 with a high school diploma).
All applicants must apply on line at www.usps.com/employment to be considered for this employment opportunity. Paper or
Emailed Applications for Employment will not be accepted in person or by email. You must have a valid email address to
apply as communication regarding employment opportunities, examinations, interviews and background checks will be
conveyed by email.
Please add the following email domain addresses to your contact list right away to allow correspondence, especially if you
use SPAM blocking software, use a yahoo or gmail account, or use a work or military email address!
@usps.gov @psionline.com @geninfo.com
NOTICE SCREENINGS REQUESTED: You may receive multiple requests for background checks in regards to this
employment opportunity. Respond to all requests quickly as we anticipate filling our vacancies quickly and non-responses
may result in disqualification for this opportunity.
Newly appointed EAS Grade employees are subject to a 1 year probationary period.
Applicants must demonstrate in writing the requirements listed on the announcement through a combination of education,
training and experience. You may use both your Summary of Accomplishments and description of duties (under Work
Experience) to address each of the requirements listed.
Reimbursement of relocation expenses is Not authorized.
The Inspection Service criminal background check is conducted using United States information resources only (e.g., FBI
fingerprint check, state and county checks). A criminal background check involves a 5-year inquiry for any location where
the individual has resided, worked or gone to school within the United States or its territories. As a result of this limitation,
the criminal background checks of individuals who have not resided in the United States or its territories for the preceding
5-years may not be considered complete. The Inspection Service may be able to process inquiries for U.S. Citizens only,
but only if their time spent out of the country was spent as: a trailing spouse or dependent of someone working for the U.S.
government (military or civilian), a missionary, a student attending school in a foreign country, a Peace Corps participant, or
as an employee of a U.S.-based employer/company. If the Inspection Service is unable to perform a complete background
check because of residency outside the United States, such individuals will be ineligible for Postal employment.
Supervises a group of employees in the delivery, collection, and distribution of mail, and in window service activities within a
post office, station or branch, or detached unit.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Supervises carrier activities; evaluates the daily workload and makes carrier and route assignments; calls and assigns
auxiliary carriers and messengers; makes temporary changes in routes and time schedules and authorizes overtime work.
2. Supervises the distribution and dispatch of mail and other mail handling activities, including handling change of address
mail; ensures that proper procedures are followed related to receipt, recording, and delivery of accountable mail.
3. Supervises window services to the public, including sale of stamps and other accountable paper; providing special
services such as Express Mail, box rental, and acceptance of advance deposits; providing information on postal services;
setting meters; and accepting mail at public windows; conducts audits of employee flexible accountabilities.
4. Establishes work schedules and allocates work hours to meet service requirements; reschedules assignments based on
changes in mail volume and human resource availability.
5. Analyzes delivery operations, mail flows, and retail operations within the work unit using observation, data analysis, and
computer models; makes recommendations to improve operations.
6. Conducts or oversees mail counts and inspections; analyzes factors such as office practices, safety conditions, route
layout, and delivery methods to determine if routes are laid out properly; makes recommendations for route adjustments and
other efficiency improvements.
7. Ensures compliance with vehicle maintenance and inspection schedules; monitors vehicle service contracts; may
investigate vehicle accidents.
8. Supervises a medium-size group of craft employees; provides on-the-job training; ensures complete training in current
operating and safety procedures; assesses employee performance and provides guidance and direction to employees
regarding work performance; makes recommendations for performance improvement; and ensures development of
employees in the work unit.
9. Establishes effective work team relationships; involves employees in decisions that affect them; and encourages decision
making at the lowest possible level.
10. Has frequent contact with the public, large volume mailers, and representatives of community, business, or mailing
organizations to respond to mailing inquiries.
11. Supervises and participates in record-keeping of work hours, mail volumes, cost ascertainment data, carrier
transportation costs, accident and injury occurences and costs, and personnel time and attendance.
12. May personally perform certain non-supervisory tasks in order to meet established service standards, consistent with the
provision of Article I, Section 6, of the National Agreement.
Postmaster or Manager, Customer Services, or designated unit manager.
The United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivated
and innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, and
experience the following requirements:
1. CHANGE MANAGEMENT: Prepares employees for change by establishing and maintaining continuous dialogue with
employees; communicates change to employees and reassures them during the transition from present to future state.
2. COMMUNICATION SKILLS: Organizes and expresses thoughts and information in a clear and concise manner while
tailoring the message to the audience; engages in active listening; is aware of the impact of nonverbal cues on the message
being delivered; takes into account the feelings and motivation of others when delivering a message.
3. EMPLOYEE FOCUS: Establishes a positive and safe work environment conducive to increasing productivity through
treating employees with dignity and respect; defines the roles of employees and clarifies their responsibilities for the success
of the organization; provides employees with the tools and support they need to accomplish their goals.
4. FUNCTIONAL ADMINISTRATION: Completes administrative tasks; generates and analyzes daily reports to ensure
appropriate documentation of operations.
5. OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT: Manages the operation through the use of operational plans developed to drive work unit
and organizational performance; addresses labor relations issues and applies knowledge of local and national agreements to
solve workplace conflicts; analyzes data on a regular basis to determine if adjustments to current operations are necessary to
6. PERSONAL ACUMEN: Adapts to changes in the business environment; demonstrates trustworthiness and initiative to
accomplish work unit and organizational goals and objectives.
7. KNOWLEDGE OF PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT systems and standards, and customer satisfaction indicators, as
they relate to customer service operations.
8. WORK UNIT PLANNING: Determines priorities of the work unit on a daily and weekly basis; identifies resources
(employees and capital) needed to accomplish goals and allocates resources as allowed to support the priorities and goals
established for the work unit and organization as a whole.
9. Note: Effective December 26, 2017, Postal Exam 642 is waived until further notice.
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's requirement
to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting's closing date. Applicants claiming veterans'
preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form
214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans' preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an
equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or
selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This
request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation
needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.