This position is located in Court Services Division's Pretrial Services Unit of the General District Court and interviews recently incarcerated defendants to determine their eligibility for participation in the Court's Supervised Release Program. General duties include:
Conducts interviews in the jail using the PTCC Pretrial Defendant Questionnaire (PDQ), the Virginia Court Appointed Counsel sheet and the Virginia Pretrial Risk Assessment Instrument (VPRAI). The interview involves collecting data from arresting documents, gathering information from personal interviews with defendants, verifying the information with family, friends, employers and co-workers. The information is documented using the PTCC computer program. The Fairfax County local record system, the NCIC/VCIN and DMV criminal history computer systems are used to obtain defendants' criminal histories. Reviews all data that reflect on a defendant's degree of risk of danger to the community (individual and/or general public) and the degree of risk of fleeing the jurisdiction or failing to appear in court.
Schedule: This is a part-time position working 20 hours per week. The schedule may include Holidays; and must be flexible and prepared to alter schedule to provide necessary office coverage.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in social/behavioral sciences, law enforcement, or education.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Core Training Basic Skills within six months of appointment;
- National Crime Information Center/Virginia Crime Information Network (NCIC/VCIN) certification within six months of appointment and recertification every two years.
- Good working knowledge of the criminal justice system as a whole;
- Experience working in a court/jail setting or agency that has a close connection with a General District Court;
- Basic knowledge of the Code of Virginia, especially in adult community corrections;
- Basic competency in the PTCC (Pretrial and Community Corrections System and Case Management System (CMS);
- Experience making release recommendations to the magistrates for defendants eligible for supervised release;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite software applications, i.e.- Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Some proficiency in Spanish is preferred but not required.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to the position must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check.
Job is generally sedentary in nature, however, visual acuity is required to read data on computer monitor. Ability to operate keyboard driven equipment. Ability to lift up to 15 pounds. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.