Summary of Duties:
Duties will include answering/screening calls, greeting clients, accepting payments, data entry, electronic filing of court documents, running reports, handling personnel paperwork, and other general office-related tasks. This position involves interacting with attorneys, the public, and parties to cases. Applicants must be able to work independently, multi task, and prioritize and manage their workload. Accuracy and attention to detail is required.
Definition of Work:
This is varied secretarial and clerical work in a court. Work involves performing general secretarial and clerical duties for a management unit. Work requires the exercise of initiative, independent judgment and discretion in handling delegated details and the performance of various clerical duties. Instructions are received from a superior on new assignments and policy matters, and advice and assistance are normally available. Work is reviewed by a superior upon completion for adherence to established policies, procedures and results obtained.
Examples of Work Performed
These examples do not cover all of the work which may be performed as part of this position.
Types correspondence, docket sheets, memoranda and motions and other materials from copy or notes; takes minutes of meetings or conferences in shorthand or by other means and prepares drafts of proceedings; composes and types routine letters, notices and other materials.
Screens and refers callers and visitors, answers various inquiries personally and provides information on the court and court schedule; maintains appointment schedules.
May compile and complete data for administrative and public reports, bulletins, questionnaires and other documents; may prepare moderately complex work sheets and tables from standardized raw data making necessary arithmetic computations; may establish and maintain filing systems.
May prepare, compile, and maintain various records on office activities such as personnel, payroll, budget, purchasing, travel expenses, and related activities.
Performs moderately complex court clerical assignments requiring knowledgeof court processes such as preparation and processing of notices of appeal or preparation and typing or daily dockets.
Receives, data stamps, and routes mail; processes registered
Performs related work as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge or secretarial practices and procedures.
2. Knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation, and arithmetic.
3. Knowledge of court procedures and policies, legal documents, laws and legal factors pertaining to the court.
4. Knowledge of organization operations, functions and scope of authority of the court or activity to which assigned.
5. Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
6. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
7. Ability to make work decisions in accordance with laws, regulations and departmental policies and procedures.
8. Ability to maintain a variety of complex records and prepare reports from such records.
9. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
10. Skill in the operation of standard office equipment.
The majority of work is performed in a professional office setting and is generally sedentary. Must possess vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
Position requires continuous sitting, upward and downward flexion of neck; fine finger dexterity and light to moderate finger pressure to manipulate keyboard, equipment controls, and other office equipment; pinch grasp to manipulate writing utensils. Frequent side-to-side turning of neck, walking, standing, bending and stooping, pushing/pulling, twisting at waist, moderate wrist torque to twist equipment knobs and dials; lifting objects weighing up to 25 lbs. from below waist to above shoulders and transporting distances up to 50 yards. Occasional squatting, kneeling, reaching above and at shoulder height, moderate grasping to manipulate objects; lifting objects weighing 20-35 lbs from below waist to above shoulders and transporting distances up to 50 feet.
This job operates in a professional office environment. Professional attire required. This position routinely uses office equipment such as computers, calculators, multi-line telephones, photocopiers, printers and scanners, hand-held recording devices, filing cabinets and fax machines. This position is routinely in contact with the public, witnesses, defendants, victims, law enforcement agencies, court employees, attorneys, and members of other entities. May be exposed to irate individuals and be responsible for talking with upset litigants. Security is available in all situations.
Required Minimum Education and Experience
The following statement represents the minimum education and experience which will be used to determine qualifications of applicants. Equivalent substitution may be permitted in case of deficiencies of either experience or education. Education above the minimum stated may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience; experience in a similar position with similar job responsibilities may be substituted on a year for year basis for the required education.
High School graduate or GED, and one to two years secretarial or general clerical experience. Must be motivated, personable, and have the ability to work in a fast paced office; strong secretarial and organizational skills; working experience with Microsoft Word and Excel is a must.
Starting position and salary will be determined by applicants’ experience.
EOE & in Compliance with ADA
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $26,928.00 /year
- data entry: 2 years (Preferred)
- Microsoft Word and Excel: 2 years (Required)
- fast paced office: 2 years (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Answering and routing phone calls
- Greeting visitors
- Expense reports
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
This Job Is:
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Monday to Friday
- Day shift
- 8 hour shift