Biomedical Engineer/Sr. Biomedical Engineer – Respiratory Technology
Director of R&D
FRESCA Medical is focused on transforming the treatment of sleep apnea and becoming a world leader in connected health technology. FRESCA’s Positive Airway Pressure system for sleep apnea addresses numerous unmet needs in the $35B available sleep apnea treatment market. Sleep apnea affects approximately 10% of all adults and remains one of the most important areas for innovation in medical treatment technology. The FDA recently authorized the Company to market its groundbreaking therapy in the U.S., and the launch is anticipated in 2020. The Company is headquartered in San Clemente, California.
The Biomedical Engineer will help FRESCA Medical complete the commercial development and support the regulatory submission of a breakthrough cloud-connected, low airflow treatment for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. This employee will join a spirited entrepreneurial team that will continuously question the status quo and looks to obsolete existing technologies, even Fresca’s disruptive solutions. The ultimate candidate will embrace our dynamic, self-motivated culture and be ready to work autonomously in a small, flexible, and flat organization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (INCLUDED BUT NOT LIMITED TO)
- Designs, develops, and optimizes FRESCA’s products using computer modeling, testing, and iterative prototyping
- Uses advanced simulation tools to help characterize the airflow characteristics and mechanical behavior of the FRESCA system.
- Designs and develops products, services, and systems that meet market requirements, while considering the U.S. and global regulatory requirements
- Supports rigorous design controls, ensuring desired patient outcomes and the highest levels of quality and consistency
- Documents progress through project updates, design reviews, test protocols, and reports
- Works closely with scientific and medical experts to ensure successful execution of project goals
SCOPE OF POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
Develops products and contributes to company product development strategy. Works with a wide range of stakeholders, while maintaining focus on the company’s goals and project objectives.
A Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Engineering or equivalent experience. A Master’s Degree or Ph.D. degree is a plus.
7-10 years of experience developing and testing respiratory technologies, particularly positive airway pressure devices. Knowledgeable of the respiratory system and related physiological parameters. Experienced and familiar with Medical Development regulations. Mastery of respiratory device development required, and a successful track record of managing complex development projects.
- A demonstrated understanding of airflow and/or fluid dynamics, positive airway pressure devices required
- Experience with simulation, simulators and physiologic models used for product design and verification
- A good understanding of digital signal processing and pattern recognition
- Proficiency in MATLAB
- Excellent math skills
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work independently, with little supervision
- Works well and participates in a cooperative environment
Standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, light lifting, computer operation, travel by air/rail/auto/sea, ability to work In controlled clinical and laboratory environments.
The above Job description is intended to describe the general content, identify the essential functions and requirements for the performance of this particular position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or conditions.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 5 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's (Required)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday