Academic Advisor, School of Business
The George Mason University, School of Business, invites applications for the position of Academic Advisor. The Academic Advisor engages with students to assist them with applying to George Mason University and the School of Business programs as well as, evaluating students’ academic progress; providing guidance in determining students’ academic interests and objectives; and planning innovative and high quality programs and events to enhance our students’ academic development and interests and to prepare students to meet today’s job market demands. This is a full-time staff position with full benefits.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Academic Advisor has responsibilities in the following areas:
- Provide academic advising and coaching in individual consultations, group events or presentations, and tabling, for current and aspiring business students on such topics as major or minor choice and fit, curriculum selection, study skills, scholarship and club opportunities, and other academic-related areas;
- Plan and implement academic-related events and perform outreach to business students for retention efforts;
- Develop online programs and workshops on academic planning, orientation, and academic status for academic development;
- Develop, disseminate and maintain resources to assist students with academic planning and development of academic/career/professional knowledge and skills;
- Coordinate complex activities to support student academic planning;
- Understand and implement proper use of rules and procedures concerning confidentiality.
Educational Program Development and Planning:
- Create and manage student services program operations, establish goals, develop and implement methods to evaluate and assess program effectiveness, and modify policies and procedures to enhance the overall efficiency of the office;
- Create and implement new initiatives, programs, and services to better enhance the overall experience of BUS students;
- Represent the School of Business as a liaison to University offices or by serving on various committees across the University to maximize student retention programming efforts.
- Input individual student contact information into Salesforce database to provide immediate access for other advisors and consistent advising information for students;
- Write appropriate notes summarizing important information concerning the contact;
- Utilize the Navigate database to create and/or participate in campaigns for targeted outreach to select students;
- Manage availability within the Student Scheduler in Navigate to enhance the student experience for scheduling appointments;
- Utilize Patriot Success database to assist with Mason’s retention efforts;
- Utilize Banner INB student information system to review student transcripts, records, course registration history, and entering course overrides;
- Research and respond to student inquiries by email.
- Provide feedback for updates to School of Business online materials to reflect changes in policies and programs;
- Maintain student records utilizing Salesforce;
- Maintain open professional communication with faculty and administrators to share information and align academic services with the school’s mission;
- Provide input on student request decisions and participate in appeals committee as asked;
- Provide accurate interpretations of policies and procedures for students, parents and faculty;
- Assist with processing of graduation audits, notify students of discrepancies and follow up with them on options;
- Assist with updates to orientation materials each semester.
- Create and manage special events and projects as assigned by the Associate Director of Academic Services.
- Bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Academic advising experience;
- Ability to develop, implement and manage academic programs services;
- Excellent organizational, communication and presentation skills;
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint; WordPress; and in the use of the Internet;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently;
- Good citizenship and the ability to work well with colleagues.
- Master’s degree preferred or equivalent education and experience;
- Working knowledge of student record databases.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02707z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by March 13, 2020; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and list of professional references. We will contact you directly if we require additional materials. Review of applications will begin on March 16, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.For Full Consideration, Apply by: 03/13/2020